Following up on my blog posts about the Homepage and About Page, this week we’ll learn how to create a convincing Work With Me page. How can we persuade visitors to take that next scary step of contacting us?
Why do I say scary? Because people tend to be shy or reluctant to contact someone they don’t know. I’m usually not a very shy person, but even so, I still think twice before getting in touch with a new person to potentially work with.
Usually, I hesitate for one or more of the following reasons:
- I’m worried about cost and commitment
- I may be unsure if I’m the kind of client they would work with
- I’m not sure if the person can help me with my specific problem
- It’s taking a step out of my comfort zone – starting a process that will result in a change in my life
- I’m unsure about what is expected of me if I take the initiative to ask for a consultancy
Knowing this, there is a lot we can do.
How to break down the barriers and hesitations?
Your visitors have gotten to your Work With Me Page, so you can assume they have some interest already, but just need to be convinced, assured and get more information to see if considering contacting you is a good decision.
We start with “the usual” – my favourite phrase when it comes to clients: Connecting with their emotions!
And that starts with the following:
- Remind them that they are in the right place
- Remind them what they will achieve working with you
- Explain the process step by step
- Get clear on expectations
- List your packages/services
- State a clear Call to Action
Let’s dig into each one of these steps:
1. You are in the right place!
Remind them that they are exactly the kind of people you are an expert at helping by describing them and their situation. Use sentences starting with words like
- “You are a…. “
- “You find yourself…”
- “You have…”
- “You want…”
Also, include why you are the best person to help them.
- Have you been in their situation, found a solution, and can now help them achieve the same?
- Do you have extensive experience and a record of success?
- Do you have a passion for this area of work and a unique understanding of their situation?
Whatever it is, let them know you’re their person.
2. This is what you will achieve by working with me
Remind them of the benefits of working with you. Describe their current situation, and feelings, and how this will change with your help and support. What will they achieve and feel after working with you?
3. The step by step process
The more your potential clients understand how it is to work with you, the less hesitant they will be about getting in touch. The more they feel in control, the more willing they will be to contact you and start working with you. Make them feel that they have nothing to lose!
So, explain the steps:
- What happens after they contact you? (Confirmation mail/scheduler/ pre-questionnaire?)
- What will be the structure of your talk?
- Do they need to prepare anything?
- After your talk, what happens? (Will they receive a proposal? A follow-up call or email?)
- If you decide to work together, how will it work? How is the structure, time frame, cost options?
4. Managing expectations
Listing what is expected of your clients, as well as what they can expect from you can avoid many misunderstandings and lack of clarity in your work together.
Sometimes, we assume that the client understands what is included and not included in our services, but since every one of us has a different mindset, experiences, and expectations, you can save both yourself and your client awkward moments by being crystal clear about expectations and one another’s responsibilities upfront.
5. Your packages/services
Explain each one in detail to give your potential client a vision of what you can do for them. You can list your services or packages either on the Work With Me Page itself, or link to a page where your packages are displayed. Choose what you think is easiest for the client. If your packages or services have long explanations, it might be a good idea to create a separate page for these.
6. Call to Action
What do you want your visitors to do after seeing your Work With Me page? Contact you, of course! Make it easy for them. Tell them what you want them to do by creating a link to your contact page, or give them a list of other options for easily contacting you.
Ready to charm your visitors into contacting you? Let me know how you have transformed your Work With Me Page! I would love to see the final result. Leave a comment below, or drop me a note. It would be nice to hear from you 🙂