Hi Gorgeous! Do you need to find someone to design your website, and wonder how to choose a web designer?
- You feel you have no clue how to choose a web designer, but you can’t ignore this ‘to do’ item anymore?
- You need to find a one right now? And a good one too!
- And you’re a bit freaked out, because you don’t have any idea how to know if a designer is good or not?
How to do it? Keep reading. I have a checklist for your further down 🙂
Save yourself these ‘horror’ experiences
These are some of the stories my clients have shared with me before we started working together:
My biggest frustration was that it wasn’t getting done. It’s took ages from the moment I told my idea to the designer until I’m saw something …which was like… never.
My first web designers didn’t understand my vision and the idea in my head. They tried to convince me that it should look a like this and that, instead of listening to what I told them I wanted it to look like. I felt very frustrated and helpless.
I tried to do it myself, failed miserably, stressed for months, hired relatives, relatives failed, and I still have a shit website.
Make sure you get a better start
I bet you want to, so I have put together this check list for you of what to look out for, and what to ask for from a potential web designer.
Checklist: How to choose a web designer
- Does the web designer offer a free, no-obligation consultation session?
It is a great advantage, because you can find out this next most important thing:
- Do you feel you connect with this person who is potentially going to do your website?
Do you feel you can have a calm conversation with him/her where you can explain what you want, how you want it, safely express your concerns and visions and feeling good about it?
- Do you feel you can trust this person?
You want to find someone you feel you can trust, who really listens to you, understands you, has the right skills and who will deliver on time.
Look at other websites the web designer has created, and talk to the owners of these websites if you can. Were they happy with everything?
- Is it clear from the proposal what is and is not included in the price?
If you don’t understand some of the technical stuff, or have doubts, feel comfortable to ask – a professional web designer will understand that it’s important.
- What is the time-frame for getting the website ready to launch?
Sometimes it’s a few weeks, sometimes longer – ask about it if it’s not stated anywhere in your proposal.
- When can the web designer start your project?
Right away, or how long do you have to wait?
- What is expected from your side during the process?
Do they have a plan for what is expected of you by when in terms of content (text, optin gift, images, call to action messages etc. (Read more about these things in part 3 of this blog post))
- What kind of support and communication can you expect during the process
Will you have regular meetings? Is communication done per phone, email, Skype?
- What kind of support is available after the website is up?
A website tends to keep needing stuff after the initial setup. Will that person teach you how to maintain it, or be available to help? Do they offer maintenance packages?
- Do you like the sense of style of the web designer?
Look at other website the web designer has built, including his/her own. Do you like the style?
- Will the website be mobile responsive?
It should be – most people operate mostly from their phones and tablets.
Learn the very basics before contacting a web designer
It will make you feel a whole lot more confident if you understand the big picture of what a quality website needs. You can find out right here 🙂
What’s your experience?
Do you have a crazy story to share? Did you find the checklist helpful? Anything you would add? Let me know in the comments below! As always, I love to hear from you.
Ready to take that first step? Why wait? Write to me. Let’s connect and talk about your website with no obligation. I always love to connect with aspiring business owners.