You know you need a website for your business, because who hasn’t gotten an online presence these days, right? But maybe your knowledge stops right there. Chances are you only know that you can put your website address on your shiny new business card, and maybe add it to your email signature,
No worries, because that’s where we all start. And getting started is great, even though you feel you run around like a headless chicken and have no idea of things like:
- Where to begin
- When to start focusing on your website
- How to attract clients with your website
I see many of my clients being confused and overwhelmed in the beginning, but they all know they want to sell their services online and have a more free and flexible lifestyle.
This blog talks about what you need to think of:
- Before you start building your website, to ensure you are ready for…
- When you start building your website, and what you need to do…
- After your website is launched to attract the clients
To make the journey clearer, I created this:
Step by step checklist around the planning and building of your online business website:
Step 1 – Answer these two questions
- What do you do?
- Who do you do it for (target market/niche and ideal client)?
First when you have this important part clear, then move on to step 2.
Step 2 – Preparing your content, which has the best impact when you base it on your market research
- What is the biggest frustration of this group of people?
- What is the ideal solution that they are willing to pay for?
- What can you offer them as a free opt-in gift* to encourage them to sign up for your mailing list?
- What to think of for each of your website pages to keep your visitors on the edge of their seats?
You can find a series of blog posts about market research and page content here.
Step 3 – Start building the website
- Do it yourself
- Have a web designer do it for you
You might wanna check out these blog posts before making up your mind:
Step 4 – Website launch – it’s time to spread the word!
- Take advantage of social media to attract attention to your website
- Post links to your blog posts on your chosen social media platforms and in relevant online groups if appropriate
- Tell people about your resources, offers etc. and link back to your website
- Tell people what you do in networking events and exchange contact information
- Ask friends and relatives to tell everyone they know
Step 5 – Build your mailing list (= collect email addresses!)
- Tell people about your opt-in gift
- On social media
- At networking events
- In the content of your blog posts
- Organize workshops (bring value in exchange for email addresses)
- Organize webinars (bring value in exchange for email addresses)
Keep in mind to not add people to your mailing list without their permission. For webinars and workshops, let them know that signing up will also automatically add them to your mailing list.
Step 6 – Start offering products and services
- Your free services (with call to actions and information about your paid services)
- Your paid services
- Your main service
- Smaller products or services related to your main service
- Programs and e-courses
With these last 3 steps you will grow your group of fans and followers, which eventually will lead to the main goal: Paying clients 🙂
Need help building a client attracting website? Write me!
Do you know someone starting their online business? Share this blog post with them!